Sunday, February 3, 2013

Wallwisher in the Classroom

Using Wallwisher:  Brainstorm, Share, Discuss! 
What is Wallwisher?  
   Wallwisher.com is a free online tool used for collaboration, and sharing of opinions, ideas, or resources.  I liken Wallwisher to a Web 2.0 version of a cork board where anyone is free to post notices, important information, and memos.  When using Wallwisher, posters can type up to 160 characters and link to related images, videos, and PDF files.  Walls can be both public or private and can be easily shared in multiple different ways.


Give me an example.
     One way I have used Wallwisher is for a "check-for-understanding."  I wanted to be sure my students could identify and write different types of figurative language.  For the activity, I asked the students to select a certain type of figurative language, go the the wall website I created for class, and had them post an example of their type of figurative language.  While it was not required, I suggested they include an image that visually supported their type of figurative language.  Here is an example from one of my classes!  Click HERE to go to this Wallwisher page!


What can I use Wallwisher for?
    I imagine the uses for Wallwisher are endless.  Because of it's collaborative nature and the easy-to-use functions, it would be an excellent tool for all subjects, grade levels, and even for teachers and school staff members.  Here are a few simple ways to incorporate Wallwisher:

1.  Check for understanding - Pose a question or task for students and ask them to post their responses on a wall.  It's easy to see who is able to grasp the lesson concepts and who needs a bit more assistance.  If students struggle with writing and/or transferring their thoughts to text, have them post an image or video that achieves the same results.

2.  Brainstorming - When students have to begin an essay or project that requires pre-planning, have them post their initial thoughts and ideas on the wall.  Rather than discussing their ideas with just a few other students, everyone's ideas can be viewed.  This makes for an engaging discussion and encourages students to think outside of their own box.  

3.  Sharing of Resources - Staff members need some new tools for their "teacher toolbox?"  Students working on a research project?  Learning about a new topic and need to provide background knowledge?  Wallwisher could be used to pool ideas and resources.  When users find handy websites, videos,  articles, or images on a chosen topic, Wallwisher would be a terrific place to collaboratively share these ideas.  And because the wall stays active until the creator chooses to remove the link, students and teachers could return to the list when needed!

Want more ideas?  
From Wallwisher's homepage, they suggest:


For an abundant amount of ideas specific to classroom use, including many ways to tie in reading and writing skills, visit Sean Banville's blog post:  "Wallwisher - 105 Classroom Ideas."

Resources:  
Free Technology for Teachers:  Using Wallwisher in the Classroom
The University of Scranton:  Online Tools for Teachers - Wallwisher
Learning and Teaching with the Web: Tool of the Month - Wallwisher

14 comments:

  1. Thanks Techie Teacher! This is an area of teaching where I need to grow! I will continue to follow your Blog so that I continue to learn tech tips. I look forward to creating a Wallwisher. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cool Mrs. Kapplar , but I think I will stick to Google docs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great display with the blog, a real eye opener and draws me in well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting Blog Title. I like the whole wall wisher thing too. I like the idea of interacting with people and people giving opinions and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's cool, I didn't you graduated from Michigan Sate.....GO NOTRE DAME!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great display, and info!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought your blog is well designed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you plan to start using "Wallwisher" in your classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Mrs. K,
    This website sounds like a fun and cool way to share my ideas with my classmates! I hope we can try this in our L.A. class.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! But I'm not a adult yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your wall seems very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the layout of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very Interesting Blog tittle, I love how you interact and share your ideas about teaching to the world.

    ReplyDelete